Monday, November 21, 2016

After the election I experienced racism and sexism at my school I was very emotional about everything that was being said. I went to one of my favorite teachers and she explained to me that I am not the only one who feels this way. Me and my teacher wanted change and wanted it fast so we decided to start this blog. After watching Maya Angelou "Still I Rise" I fell in love. My nana told me to read this poem that it'll make me feel better and it sure did.
 "Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. 
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size   
But when I start to tell them, 
They think I’m telling lies. 
I say, 
It’s in the reach of my arms, 
The span of my hips,   
The stride of my step,   
The curl of my lips.   
I’m a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman,   
That’s me. 

I walk into a room 
Just as cool as you please,   
And to a man, 
The fellows stand or 
Fall down on their knees.   
Then they swarm around me, 
A hive of honey bees.   
I say, 
It’s the fire in my eyes,   
And the flash of my teeth,   
The swing in my waist,   
And the joy in my feet.   
I’m a woman 
Phenomenally. 

Phenomenal woman, 
That’s me. 

Men themselves have wondered   
What they see in me. 
They try so much 
But they can’t touch 
My inner mystery. 
When I try to show them,   
They say they still can’t see.   
I say, 
It’s in the arch of my back,   
The sun of my smile, 
The ride of my breasts, 
The grace of my style. 
I’m a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, 
That’s me. 

Now you understand 
Just why my head’s not bowed.   
I don’t shout or jump about 
Or have to talk real loud.   
When you see me passing, 
It ought to make you proud. 
I say, 
It’s in the click of my heels,   
The bend of my hair,   
the palm of my hand,   
The need for my care.   
’Cause I’m a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, 
That’s me." 

- Maya Angelou 

4 comments:

  1. Maya Angelou is a master of lifting hearts and minds. Thank you for sharing, Ezra. You are a phenomenal woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maya Angelou celebrates women and diversity and I hold her writing close to my heart for those reasons. I value you, Ezra, as a phenomenal woman and hope you always remember that you never have your head bowed. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So powerful! Thank you for sharing this with us, Ezra. What a magical thing, to be a woman. The beauty, the power, and the Divinity that we possess is limitless. Let us hold our heads up high and remember how phenomenal we are more and more, everyday. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezra, I do not know you, and I might never meet you, but I want you to know that you are loved. Thank you so much for sharing this, and opening up about your experiences after the election. The reason I wanted to be a part of this blog was to connect people from all around the country. I have seen and felt things in the past two weeks that have saddened me, shocked me, enraged me, and left me completely and utterly speechless, and I am sure you have felt the same way.

    Like the poem your nana showed you says, we are phenomenal women. Every single one of us. And there are phenomenal people in this country who love us and want to help unite everyone after what has been a heart-wrenching divide for so many people. I want you to know that you always have a voice, and that there are so many people who want to listen to you and have your voice be heard, so don't be afraid to use it. Hold your head high and be proud of who you are. I know it can be hard, especially when there are some people who will hold your race, gender, or other things above all else; will define you from the surface reflection they create in their minds. But you are here, you are beautiful, you are loved, and you are strong. You are not the prejudices and stereotypes that other people may try to project onto you. Never forget that.

    I've been feeling a bit hopeless lately, but there is one quote that keeps coming back into my mind. This may be an extremely nerdy reference, but I love Lord of the Rings, and there is an exchange between two of the characters that keeps me going every day. It goes:

    “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”


    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

    It might be a bit of an understatement for some people right now, but I think there are many people who are scared and frustrated to be living in our time. Especially since the election. But if we can be brave and face every day with the courage and confidence to be the change we wish to see in the world, maybe we can make a difference. That is why I am writing this to you. I want you to live in a country where you feel respected, valued, and free to chase your dreams to the stars. I hope that this blog can remind you everyday that there are so many good people in the world, and if we can support each other and spread love instead of hate, maybe we can make a better world in which we all want to live.

    Please feel free to reach out and post here if you need encouragement, a kind word, or just a reminder that you are loved. You are awesome. You can take on the world. You are a phenomenal woman.

    <3

    ReplyDelete